A character in Greek mythology, the Phoenician prince
Cadmus was said to have introduced the alphabet into Greece,
and founded Thebes.
Amphion Class Repair Ship: Laid down, 30 October
1944 as a Maritime Commission type (C2) hull under a Maritime Commission
contract at Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc; USS Cadmus (AR-14)
was launched 5 August 1945 by Tampa Shipbuilding Co. Inc., Tampa, Fla.;
sponsored by Mrs. B. P. Ward and commissioned 23 April 1946. Captain J. M.
Connally in command.
Specifications: Displacement 6,266 t.; Length
492'; Beam 69' 6": Draft 27' 6"; Speed 16kts; Complement 921; Armament two
single 5"/38 dual purpose gun mount.
Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet
since commissioning, USS Cadmus operated from her home port
at Norfolk, Va., as a repair ship. Calls to East Coast ports, and cruises
in the Caribbean, are part of a schedule which calls for service to the
Fleet during major exercises. On 3 September 1957, the repair ship cleared
Norfolk on her first Atlantic crossing. After taking part in NATO
exercises with TF 88 out of Rothesay, Scotland, she visited ports in
Scotland, France, and Spain. Through the first half of 1958 she sailed
with TF 63 in replenishment missions during fleet exercises in the
Mediterranean. From her return to Norfolk on 7 May 1958 through 1960,
Cadmus has continued her program of east coast and Caribbean
In 1964, the USS Cadmus moved her homeport to
Decommissioned, 4 September 1971; Laid up in the
Reserve Fleet; Struck from the Naval Register, 15 January 1974; Sold under
the Security Assistance Program to Taiwan, 22 April 1974; Final
Disposition, fate unknown.